Young Pianists Competition
Saturday, April 9, 2022
Sunday, April 10, 2022
Application deadline extended to Thursday, March 31, 2022 or when we get 30 applicants.
NYSMTA District 4 “YOUNG PIANISTS COMPETITION” GUIDELINE
1. Audition Date:
Saturday, April 9, 2022, between 9:30 AM and 5 PM. The event will start with the younger category in the morning and move up to the older. It will be held at:
Elementary (Grades 4-5)
Junior (Grades 6-8)
Senior (Grades 9-12)
The application process will open up on Tuesday, March 1, 2022 for the district members and Tuesday, March 8, 2022 for non-district members. Final application deadline is Sunday, March 27, 2022 or when we get 30 applicants.
It is open to the members of the district as well as non-members. Past first-prize winners cannot compete in the same category.
4. Repertoire Requirements:
1. Two contrasting pieces from the following periods: Baroque, Classical, Romantic and Contemporary. The audition time allotment is as follows: 7 minutes for Elementary level, 10 minutes for Junior and Senior levels. If the submitted repertoire is deemed inappropriate for the category applying to, the application will be canceled and fee refunded. If the total duration of the pieces is longer than the allotted time, it is judges’ discretion to stop the student. Please refer to the last year’s winners’ concert program here.
2. All music must be memorized, no simplified or shortened versions allowed.
3. If your pieces exceed the allotted audition time, you will be stopped at the judges’ discretion. If your repertoire does not meet the standard of the competition, your application will be denied and fee refunded.
4. After your repertoire is submitted and approved, there will be no changes allowed.
5. Please bring one copy of the original music of your audition pieces for the judges. Contestants who do not bring a legal copy of the music will not be allowed to audition.
5. Winner’s Concert date:
Sunday, April 10, 2022 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM.
The non-refundable entry fee is $50/applicant of the district members and $75 for non-district members, plus one time non-member fee of $50 for the teacher. The entry fees are not refundable once the applications are submitted.
There will be up to three winners chosen for each category. Cash prizes will be awarded to those winners of each category. The judges’ decision is final and selected performers are invited to perform in the Winners’ Concert on Sunday, April 10, 2022 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM. You must be present at the recital to receive the prize.
If you have any questions regarding the competition, please contact Tomoko Uchino, Competition Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org