- This event has passed.
Postponed – 2020 Young Pianists Competition
March 28 @ 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
2020 NYSMTA District 4 “Young Pianists Competition” Guideline
1. Audition Date:
Saturday, March 28th, 2020, between 9 am and 5 pm. The event will start with the younger category in the morning and move up to the older. It will be held at:
Briarcliff Congregational Church
30 South State Road, Briarcliff Manor, NY
Elementary (Grades 4-5)
Junior (Grades 6-8)
Senior (Grades 9-12)
The application process will open up on Monday, February 24, 2020 for the district members and March 2nd, 2020 for non-district members. The application process closes on Saturday, March 14th, 2020 or as soon as a total of 30 applicants are registered.
It is open to the members of the district as well as non-members. Past first-prize winners cannot compete in the same category.
4. Repertoire Requirements:
1. Two contrasting pieces from the following periods: Baroque, Classical, Romantic and Contemporary. The audition time allotment is as follows: 7 minutes for Elementary level, 10 minutes for Junior and Senior levels. If the submitted repertoire is deemed inappropriate for the category applying to, the application will be canceled and fee refunded. If the total duration of the pieces is longer than the allotted time, it is judges’ discretion to stop the student. Please refer to the last year’s winners’ concert program: http://nysmtadistrict4.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/YoungPianistCompetitionRecitalProgram.pdf
2. All music must be memorized, no simplified or shortened versions allowed.
3. If your pieces exceed the allotted audition time, you will be stopped at the judges’ discretion. If your repertoire does not meet the standard of the competition, your application will be denied and fee refunded.
4. After your repertoire is submitted and approved, there will be no changes allowed.
5. Please bring one copy of the original music of your audition pieces for the judges. Contestants who do not bring a legal copy of the music will not be allowed to audition.
5. Winner’s Concert date:
Friday, April 3th, 2020 at 7 pm:
The non-refundable entry fee is $50/applicant of the district members and $75 for non-district members, starting on March 1st, 2020. The entry fees are not refundable once the applications are submitted.
There will be up to three winners chosen for each category. Cash prizes will be awarded to those winners of each category. The judges’ decision is final and a total of 20 performers will also be selected to perform in the Winners’ Concert on Friday April 3rd, 2020. You must be present at the recital to receive the prize.
If you have any questions regarding the competition, please contact Tomoko Uchino, Competition Coordinator at email@example.com